Want Success? Raise Your Average
‘You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with.' ~ Jim Rohn
Who are the people you spend time with?
I’m sure almost every mother since the beginning of time has said “If you hang around with those people, you’ll be painted with the same brush.” Where the excitement comes regarding this statement is, you can choose the brush!
It doesn't matter how smart or talented you are, which skills you have, where you were born, or which branch of the family tree you happened to fall from. If you want to be successful in life, choose to surround yourself with the right people.
This is an interesting exercise that I’m sure will cause a few ‘AHA’s’.
1. Who are the five people in your life that you spend the most time with? For example, in the course of a week, how many of those hours are spent with whom?
2. Write those five people on a piece of paper.
3. Now ask yourself if these people are helping you get to where you want to be.
Do you spend more time with people who support you and your ambitions, are positive about their own success, and make you feel great just to be in their company? Or do you spend a lot of time with people who drain you, who you are constantly supporting?
Then you have to make a choice.
4. Choose who on your list you want to continue spending time with.
It’s ok if only one or two (or none!) of your five people exhibit the level of success that you are striving to achieve.
5. Get rid of the ‘Negative Nellies’ or what I call Energy Vampires.
You spend so much energy trying to counter that negativity with positive energy, they suck you dry and you’ve got nothing left for yourself. It’s their stuff, let them keep it. Don't be afraid to ‘fire’ some friends or colleagues if it means you start surrounding yourself with the right people.
Keep your eyes open for people that you want to have on your list of five.
6. Seek out someone that you admire and want to emulate. Schedule a coffee with them and tell them that you’d like to find out more about their success and learn more about them. People worth being around will be honoured to be asked and be happy to spend time with you.
7. Join an organization or network whose members embody your aspirations, or as I did, create your own.
8. Go Big or Go Home. Choose one person that has achieved the highest success in what you want to do. Research where they will be speaking, attend the events that they attend or find that key person to introduce you. Look for opportunities.
If you hang out with a group of successful, proactive, positive-minded individuals who believe in taking responsibility and being accountable for their lives and their success, you will become a successful, proactive, positive-minded individual who shapes her future.
Now Go Get Connected!
Cathy Kuzel is one connected woman! With 25+ years of experience as a successful Entrepreneur, she is recognized across Canada for her in-house and public seminars on professional development, sales and customer service. Named one of the Top Ten Mentors in Canada, Cathy is the Founder of The Connected Woman in Vancouver, BC, author of “Are You a Collector or a Connector?” and is a networking maven. Find her on Facebook and Twitter and check out her story archive.
Leave a Response
Your email address will never be displayed, but, is required to validate your comment.
In accordance with the Terms of Service, submitting a comment grants Entrepreneurial Woman Magazine a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution.